Laminex doors were first introduced to the Australian market a couple of decades ago, and for more than 80 years, its commitment to design, innovation, quality, and sustainability still endures. Laminex doors provide a whole new world of possibilities due to its various inspirational selection of styles, textures and finishes, which avails customers a multitude of options.
Laminex doors have simplified the process of finding the best designs, which portray high quality and sleek textures while ensuring customer satisfaction. This explains why Laminex continues to sport beautifully curated collection of doors designed to endure the rigors of everyday life.
CAN YOU PAINT LAMINATE DOORS?
The answer to this question is yes, laminate doors can be painted. However, there are some preliminary steps that should be undertaken before painting such doors. First, you have to thoroughly prepare the door surfaces before painting. The successful outcome of painting your laminate doors is directly linked to whether you use the right paint for the job.
The process of painting a laminate door can be simple or challenging to carry out depending on your willingness and commitment towards achieving your goal. To achieve your goal of painting a laminate door, you must be willing to apply a little extra effort to ensure that every part of the door is properly sanded and cleaned before applying the paint. This helps to give you a professional finish.
The process of painting laminate doors
1. Remove the laminate doors you intend to paint and put the door on a flat surface to enable maximum convenience while you paint.
2. Use either 80- or 120-grit sandpaper to sand all the surface of the door. This helps to create a well-roughened surface, which makes the paint stick to the door easier. After using the sandpaper on the door, make sure you thoroughly vacuum away all the sanding dust.
3. Mix up a solution of trisodium phosphate and water, but first, read the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Then wash each door with a sponge dipped in the solution of trisodium phosphate and water. Rinse the door thoroughly and allow it to dry completely.
4. Pour some melamine paint into a roller tray and roll back and forth. Continue rolling until the roller is completely coated. Then apply a thin coat of paint to all parts of the door and leave it to dry off.
5. After the first thin coat has been applied to the surface, apply a second thin coat of melamine paint, and allow it to completely dry.
CAN YOU PAINT LAMINATE KITCHEN CABINET DOORS?
Yes, laminate kitchen cabinet doors can be painted. To paint these doors, it's of great importance to prepare all of the materials required to paint the door before you begin painting. Various questions about your kitchen have to be addressed, and every choice made is dependent on what your kitchen is made up of and its current condition. Perhaps, the most important of these questions is, what vision do you have in mind for your kitchen post-renovation?
The primary secret to having a flawless, long-lasting finish is effectively sanding down the door and using the right solution before you start painting.
The process of painting laminate kitchen cabinet doors
Before you start sanding or painting your cabinet doors, it's of great importance to thoroughly clean the kitchen cabinet door and remove all handles if you intend to reuse them.
1. The first step to painting your cabinet doors is to sand them. Sanding of the kitchen cabinet door makes the difference between a professional, long-lasting finish, and a natural finish. It's advisable to sand the door after every coat of paint; this is because sanding creates tiny grooves that ensure better adherence of the paint to the doors.
2. After you've sanded the kitchen cabinet door, ensure the doors are thoroughly free of dirt and dust before applying a suitable solution or primer of your choice. Allow the solution to dry off and sand the door using about 240-grit sandpaper.
3. Ensure the door is entirely free of any form of dust or dirt after sanding before carrying out the first round of painting. Also, you may need to invest in better equipment as the quality of the tools you use makes a significant difference in your work.
4. You may repeat the process of painting, drying, and sanding until you're satisfied with the coverage of the paint. It's better to apply many thin coats of paint on the cabinet door than a thick one, as thin layers of paint tend to create a better-unified finish.
5. Use sandpaper to remove any imperfections for the last time after your final layer of paint is completely dry.
CAN YOU PAINT OVER LAMINATE WOOD?
Laminate wood refers to furniture covered in a wood-patterned paper called Laminate.
How to paint over laminate wood:
- Use 120-grit sandpaper to sand the furniture surface in a circular motion until there's a less glossy and dull-like look on the wood. Swipe off the surface of the wood to remove any dirt.
- Apply an oil-based primer using a brush or a roller until the surface of the laminate wood is completely covered.
- Allow the primer to dry off completely and sand the laminate wood in a circular motion. Afterwards, remove all traces of dust or dirt from the wood.
- Paint over the surface of the wood using acrylic latex paint. Apply the first coat of paint using a roller or a brush. Allow the paint to dry off completely.
- Use the sandpaper on the paint in a circular motion and clean off any dirt or dust and apply a second coat of paint.
- Apply as many layers of paint as you desire until you are satisfied with the outcome. Don't forget to sand after every coat of paint has dried up completely.
- Let the wood sit for a week to completely dry up before you make use of it to avoid peeling or damage.